How do I organise a virtual event?
The experience of organising a virtual event can be quite different from organising a physical one. In order to make your virtual event a success, this article provides you with some important information and helpful checkpoints to keep in mind before and during your event.
Event Participation Link
Those who have registered for your event will receive an email with the event participation link 1 day before the event. An email reminder with the participation link will also be sent out 1 hour before the event.
The event participation link will additionally be published on your event page 1 day before the event! This link is only visible and accessible to you and to those who have registered for the event.
Important guidelines to remember
The virtual event should be a maximum of 1.5 hours.
We recommend staff members in the Helsinki City Education Division to use the Microsoft Teams application as a digital platform. Please notice that the use of Zoom is not allowed on Helsinki City devices.
Please also notice that you need parental permission for filming children or young students if your event is being recorded.
Checklist for event organisers
Before the virtual event
- Make sure that you have all the necessary technological equipment.
- Double-check that your internet connection is solid!
- Test your video and audio.
- Familiarise yourself thoroughly with the digital platform you are using (Teams Live, Google Meets, Skype, Other).
- Make sure the link to your online event works.
- Promote and share your event to your target audience, remind people it is happening!
- Prepare your attendees with enough information about how to access the event.
During the virtual event
- It is always a good idea to begin by explaining the program and format of your event.
- Inform your attendees of any ground rules, such as how to ask for the floor, use the chat or mute their microphones.
- Make your attendees feel involved and engaged.
- Make sure you’re staying on schedule, timing yourself can be helpful.
- Be prepared for technical or connectivity challenges - they are more often the rule than the exception in any virtual or online interaction.
Do you need help?
If you any have questions or problems, you can ask the production team for help at any time - we will help you organise a successful virtual event! Contact the Helsinki Education Week production team at email@example.com.