Moving & Learning Works & Plays
Teachers and leaders - Welcome to observe the workshop held in Drumsö Lågstadieskola!
Many schools in certain countries are incredibly busy with relentless pressures to increase standards. In amongst all this, the health and wellbeing of K12 school children is on the decline:
- Physical activity levels amongst UK primary-aged children are falling from as early as 7-years of age
- Only 10% of children achieve daily recommendations for physical activity
- Increasing numbers of children in the UK are leaving school classified as obese or overweight
Traditional approaches to improving health outcomes for children focus heavily upon Sport & PE during segmented periods of the school day. But does this engage all children in becoming more active? Or does it just maintain the levels of those that are active already?
This workshop will focus on the principles of Physically Active Learning (PAL). Research in this field has found that PAL can:
- Improve classroom behaviour and activity engagement
- Significantly reduce sedentary periods of time
- Offer aggregated improvement in academic performance over time
Bryn has worked in various UK schools for 25 years as a Teacher, Deputy Head and Acting Head Teacher. In 2012, he founded Tagtiv8 Active Learning. His pioneering approach to active learning and research not only provides an enjoyable alternative to classroom based learning, but promotes physical activity - crucial when challenging the increasing problem of sedentary lifestyles. Bryn acts as an advisor to the Premier League and the BBC for their Supermovers and Live Lessons.
The 'Move & Learn' team will share the benefits of blending research and practice from around the world - in addition to examples from their own practice. For an example, click here.
The workshop will consider ways to develop Student Leadership in delivering Physically Active Learning.
Leaders will understand:
- how to integrate PAL approaches into teaching and learning across your school
- fresh perspectives on how to maximise the impact of PE & Sport on ALL Child Physical Activity Levels EVERY DAY
- explore approaches, resources, and strategies for organically integrating physical activity within the classroom environment and beyond
- know new ways to enable children to sit less & move more while fully engaging with their learning
Time: 11:30 - 12:15
Event type: Hands on
Keywords: Physically Active Learning, Move & Learn, Comprehensive Education, Health, Student Leadership.
Target group: Teachers, Leaders.
Contact person: Bryn Llewellyn
Phone number: +447506523354
Tallbergs allén 12, Helsingfors, Finland